The AIDC’s Supplier and Enterprise Development Department (SEDD) was established to develop component manufacturers in the supply chain to conform to the international standards prescribed by the automotive manufacturing industry. The department’s service offering ranges from a combination of efficiency improvement projects related to productivity, quality assurance in accordance with ISO standards, including environmental, lean and clean production (including all green projects as related to the Government and the Province’s low carbon economy projects), to manufacturing concepts, logistics, clustering and SMME development initiatives.
The AIDC’s roll out of TPM (Total Productivity Management/ Maintenance) in South Africa, have already seen component manufacturing companies increasing their competitiveness by achieving zero accidents, breakdowns, defects and losses within the manufacturing process. The Engineering student internship programme, managed by the SEDD, is an opportunity for aspiring graduate engineers intending on applying their trade within the manufacturing sectors.
The AIDC uses its collaboration with companies participating in the various supplier development programmes as a delivery mechanism for internship programme. The programme offers companies engineering capacity in the form of interns, who are directly mentored and coached on specific projects aimed at improving the company’s productivity and efficiency. The SEDD specifically focuses on:
- Total Productive Maintenance (TPM) Programme,
- Cleaner Production Programme (including all green projects related to the Province’s low carbon economy projects),
- Lean Manufacturing Programme,
- Rapid Process Improvement Workshops (RPIW), and
- Quality Management Systems (QMS).
Other value-added services offered by the EDD include:
- Company benchmarking to ensure that they meet global best practice standards,
- Logistics and Lean manufacturing assessments
- Accredited Supervisor training, and
- Engineering student internship to support on key programmes.
The cost and duration of the programme is based on the customer’s requirements.
Name: Nkumbuzi Ben-Mazwi
Position: Department Manager: Supplier and Enterprise Development
Tel: (+27) 12 564 5321